Tuesday, December 28, 2010

New Year's Wishes - By Trish Berg

I like fresh starts. Like a second chance all wrapped up in forgiveness and love, New Year’s Day is fast approaching and we are all getting a do-over.

When I was a little girl, my older sister and I would play basketball in the driveway of our childhood home with our dad. We would play games like Around the World and Horse. Being the youngest on the basketball court, I was not the best shot. When it was my turn to shoot the basketball, I would muster up all the courage and strength I could, and let her fly.

A lot of the times, my shot did not even hit the rim of the hoop, and ended in an air ball that hit the garage door. That’s when my dad would say “Do-over,” as he tossed me the basketball and let me shoot again, sometimes from a closer distance, sometimes he would even lift me up so I could make it.

There was nothing like getting a second chance. As an eight-year-old girl, I understood that. I cherished those do-overs, and took every advantage of them. Eventually, I grew stronger and older, and learned to make the baskets on my own. But I never forgot the blessing of my do-overs.

New Year’s Day is sort of like a do-over. We set new goals for the year, forgive ourselves for the mistakes we made in the past year, and take another shot at getting it right. It’s as if God is whispering in our ear, “Go ahead, take another shot. You can do it!”

God has blessed me in 2010 beyond my wildest expectations (as always). I have drawn closer to Christ as I try to walk where He leads me. My husband, Mike, myself, and our four children are all healthy and well. We are surrounded with family and friends, have been blessed with more than we need, and certainly more than we deserve.

I have girlfriends that I trust with my life, women who know me better than I know myself, and they love me in spite of all of my flaws.

I am blessed to be able to write this column and share my life with all of you every week. The fact that you enjoy reading it is like cake icing in my mouth, all sweet and yummy.

I have been able to teach at Malone University this year, and have become friends with so many amazing students, faculty and staff there. I get to go to chapel every week at work and worship the Lord. I love that!

I also have made many mistakes in 2010, too. I let anger rule my heart, lost patience with my children, and did not always reach out to those in need around me.

And so, I like fresh starts. New Year’s Day is a do-over like no other. It’s like a second chance all wrapped up in forgiveness and love.

This New Year’s Day, what would you like to do-over?

God is tossing you the ball, moving you closer to the hoop, lifting you up on His shoulders and whispering in your ear, “Go ahead, take another shot. You can do it!”

So, muster up your courage and strength and let her fly!

Happy New Year to you all!

Pick up your copy of Trish’s book A Scrapbook of Christmas Firsts-Stories to Warm Your Heart and Tips to Simplify Your Holiday online or at a bookstore near you. www.TrishBerg.com

1 comment:

Annesphamily said...

It is always good to start fresh and sometime we carry bitterness or anger with us. I like the pray and start fresh. I am always enjoying your writing here. Blessings to you.