Friday, October 8, 2010

Children's book Cup of Christmas Tea


This week we are chatting here about favorite children's Christmas books.
One of my favorites is "A Cup of Christmas Tea", written by Tom Hegg and illustrated by Warren Hanson.
This charming story written as a poem covers the visit of a young man to his ailing great aunt, and how his reluctant arrival turns into a joyful time together.
One verse goes "A week before, I got a letter from my old Great Aunt. It read: Of course, I'll understand completely if you can't ... But if you have some time, how wonderful if we ... could have a little chat and a cup of Christmas tea."

I bought a hardcover copy for a very reasonable price of ten dollars and this book is providing my family with many years of reading around the Christmas tree. There are audio versions available too.

2 comments:

Liz said...

I don't know that one! I will have to look for it. We have so many, many favorites -- possibly one of the all-time ones is The Jolly Christmas Postman. Activities on every page and a wonderful story as the Jolly Postman delivers mail to other storybook creatures.

Liz said...

Another one! This is my favorite for this year, which I have purchased for the 2-year-olds in the family (my niece and nephew's kids). I'm even getting one for our house as well, even though my own kids have outgrown my reading to them, at any rate! It's Santa & the Little Teddy Bear by Peter John Lucking. The little bear goes on quite a journey! You can almost see him as an analogy to our lives: from a perfect beginning comes chaos, followed by s search for knowledge and enlightenment. It's just wonderful, with a glimpse of Christmas traditions around the world, and really stunning illustrations. Check it out.