Saturday, December 11, 2010

Creative De-Stressing

When I was a florist, the holidays were truly a time of stress. Not only did I have all the usual Christmas preparations, I also had tons of orders to fill for flowers and fruit baskets in the shop. Whenever I was beginning to show signs of stress my friend, Chris, who worked with me always suggested I go home and bake to de-stress. That was what she did and we could always tell when she was over stressed. Plates of goodies would show up on our workbenches.

Now baking would be more stressful for me than many other things I could think of. Crocheting is probably my best way to deal with stress. I can whip up an afghan in no time if I'm working off nervous energy or anger or stress.

If baking or crocheting are not on your list of de-stressers, here are some other suggestions (crafty, of course):
  • Painting- Acrylics are easy to use or even watercolors. If you don't feel creative, get a paint by number. Some of them are really easy and a good distraction.

  • Embroidery- Pick a really simple kit and make an ornament, a card, or a runner for your table.

  • Put together a jigsaw puzzle. There is something calming in this and to make it crafty, get some clear coating made especially for jigsaw puzzles and coat the puzzle so you can frame it.

  • Grab your camera and take a long walk. Take some pictures of landscapes, then zero in on things a little closer and capture something unique or unusual. Try photographing textures or patterns. Or pick a theme and take pictures to fit the theme.

If all else fails, buy yourself a roll of bubble wrap or a pack of bubble gum and pop it!

[posted by Karen Robbins]

3 comments:

Cindy Hager said...

I agree that baking doesn't do it for me either but I liked the idea of the puzzle and a walk with a creative camera in hand! Thanks for your thoughts!

Cathy Messecar said...

Karen, great ideas for de-stressing. I love to bake, and a friend sent me an almond cookie recipe that's supposed to de-stress the baker or consumer. Not sure which one....tonight, actually 2:00 a.m. tomorrow, we should have prime viewing time for meteors in our area. We live in rural location where we have a huge hill on farm, with no trees. I'll watch for 100 meteors per hour and be reminded how small my annoyances really are.

Tablescapes By Diane said...

Hi lovely lady, I did do Jigsaw puzzle a long time ago, yours is Beautiful with the books !!! I would like to Thank you for your lovely comments on my Christmas Tablescapes you are so sweet!!! Im yours newest follower on your blog.
Maybe if you would like you can become one of my followers Thanks so much, I hope you have a Merry Christmas with your Family.~~~Diane