Friday, November 19, 2010

Love in a shoe box, Samaritan's Purse

My favorite holiday charity focuses on children in need, and is called Samaritan's Purse or Operation Christmas Child.
samaritanspurse.org
Every year my church participates in this shoe box project and we fill more boxes each year.
You fill a shoe box with suggested gift items, first choosing if for a boy or girl and then selecting the age group, zero to five, six to nine or ten to fourteen.
The boxes are delivered to very remote areas of the world  or to American children, with a small booklet in the appropriate language about the birth of Jesus. I think the deadline for filling a shoe box is November 22, which makes sense since many boxes go to remote areas. At the website you can type in your zip code to find the closest place for you to take a filled box.
How much love could I squeeze in to a shoe box? It turns out A LOT :)
I picked a boy, age 6 to 9 and put in the box: new brown striped tee shirt, monkey Beanie baby, 2 metal cars, toothbrush, toothpaste, a comb, pens and note book, and a bag of bubble gum. This is a fun family project which puts us all in the spirit of giving.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Samaritan's Purse is a great organization! :-)

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You :-)

~Ron

Rita A said...

I love Christmas and the spirit of helping those in need, especially children. So glad I found your blog.

Greetings from Finland, Europe :) - Rita -

Cathy Messecar said...

Thank, Ron, Rita, for stopping by. Next week we share some of our favorite holiday dessert ideas....Cathy