Saturday, October 4, 2008

Egg Nog At Its Best!

My most often requested extra treat for the holidays is my eggnog recipe. For a while I stopped making it because of all the salmonella scares about raw eggs but I learned that if you wash the egg shells well, there's little chance of contamination. If you're game, here's the recipe:

4 eggs separated (Since this recipe calls for raw eggs, be sure to wash the outside shells before cracking open)
1 can condensed milk
¼ tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 qt milk (for lower cal/lower fat, use 2% milk)
¼ tsp. nutmeg
¼ tsp. cinnamon

Beat egg yolks in large bowl with mixer. Add condensed milk and beat again until well blended. Add vanilla, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and milk. Mix well. In separate large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold into egg yolk mixture. Refrigerate. Makes ½ gallon.
Preparation hint: Save ½ gallon plastic milk jugs, rinse thoroughly and, using a funnel, pour the eggnog mixture into the milk jugs to store until ready to use.

If you don't want to chance the raw eggs, I suggest buying the prepared eggnog and cutting it with some 2% or skim milk to reduce calories and lighten the heavy flavor and consistency the prepared stuff has.

What goes best with eggnog? Cookies or salty pretzels?

3 comments:

Dina said...

You know I've never caught on to eggnog, don't know why.

windycindy said...

I love eggnog with both! Thanks, Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

Brenda Nixon, Author and Speaker said...

Yum! While I'm not a Nog consumer, my husband loves it and I'm going to share this recipe with him. Thanks for sharing.
Brenda, co-author
www.BrendaNixon.com

P.S. Yes, gentle readers, we continue to learn from one another.