Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Best Christmas Open House


This week each of us co-authors on A Scrapbook of Christmas Firsts (available at bookstores & online) are to post a brief blog about party ideas and themes.

I love Christmas parties, open houses, drop-ins, you name it! Especially in the small town where I live, it's a rare treat to dress up and be festive.

One of my girlfriends always throws the best Christmas Open House. Why? Because she begins with a personal touch by delivering her creative handmade invitation door-to-door. One Christmas her invite was a ribbon-tied scroll with the opening words, "Hear Ye, Hear Ye."

Each Christmas her home is filled with oodles of food in fancy dishes - creative presentation - and a wide circle of friends. I always meet somebody new because she has such an inclusive guest list.

Finally, she prepares a small commemorative token to gift her guests. She places her gifts in a basket by the door. I particularly remember the basket of silver glass ornaments with the date artistically etched in gold and a red ribbon looped through the top hook so it could hang it on our tree. Her takeaway treat is not only a generous gesture but a marvelous way to remember her family year to year. I can't wait to see what she comes up with this year.

How do you throw the best bash? Leave your comment here to share with the world.

Brenda Nixon, http://www.brendanixon.com/
Co-Author, A Scrapbook of Christmas Firsts

6 comments:

Stacy said...

The last time we had a christmas party, we sent out invitations using Walgreens photoshop and had everyone come around 7 p.m. so all of the christmas lights would be glowing. We are from a small town so we didn't do an elaborate meal, instead we fixed big pots of chilly with appetizers and then I baked about 30 different cookies and goodies and had them on platters. We all sat around and played card games and enjoy our time together. It was a lot of fun.

Wow Gold said...

Very Nice Blog

Lucy said...

A good old Christmas open house party is really good fun. Last year we went to a party in Birmingham and the owner of the house had hired a band which was really cool. I do love Christmas parties, they are the best if you want to let your hair down.

Brenda Nixon, Author and Speaker said...

Thanks Lucy, Wow Gold, and the Hertz Fam for your replies. Hey Hertz, can I be on your party guest list - I love chili and card games?
Lucy, you're right to let your hair down, let go and enjoy your guests. I hate going to any party when the hostess is so uptight I'm afraid to set down my cup of coffee. There is freedom in letting go of high expectations and just sharing your presence with your guests.

Cathy Messecar said...

Oh, I haven't had an open house in years. I want one! Karen, I may just have to use your idea of putting on a pot of something and having a few cold side dishes and saying drop in anytime from noon on into evening. I like that. More relazed and more time to actually visit with guests.

Thanks, Hertz Family and Lucy for stopping by.

Jennifer Bojko said...

Ella Wheeler Wilcox:

When Christmas bells are swinging above the fields of snow,
We hear sweet voices ringing from lands of long ago,
And etched on vacant places
Are half-forgotten faces
Of friends we used to cherish, and loves we used to know.

"Christmas Fancies" - Poems of Power